Extremely excited doesn’t even cut it at this stage. As of today we have both handed in our notices at work, we have been through a combined ten vaccination injections and the next four weeks are packed full of visits with our family and friends. Let the count down BEGIN! …. 33 days to go.
If you like intense passion, boundless joy, contagious smiles and information overloading… ask Tom about the Amazon Rainforest and it’s creatures.
Video by Ash , Essence by Tom.
I came to the UK five years ago, driven by my love of adventure, the unknown and experiencing other cultures. I walked off the plane and into my sisters Camden flat and haven’t looked back since. England for me was a massive dose of self discovery, adventure and brilliant people. But now my heart won’t shut up and it’s time to DO ONE back home to the land of the long white cloud, Aotearoa, New Zealand (eventually, after a stint in Mighty Australia).
I feel incredibly lucky to be bringing my favourite lanky bean pole, adventure buddy and trouble maker with me. We have an amazing bond I want to see grow. We are both over city life. So we are out. First stop Peru and Ecuador, South America, We want to lose ourselves in the Amazon Rainforest. We are both longing for nature, stars, cicadas, hammocks and bugs. So we are going for it.
As I write this, time is flying by at an unbelievable rate towards us leaving… Nothing but excitement for this upcoming chapter. Good times await down under and I cannot wait to see what’s going to unfold.
Ash’s travel retrospective (so far):
- Spain – Shenanigans of a bunch of 16 year olds with Mrs Pearse of Rosehill College.
- Australia – Triple8funk dance crew! Habitat hostel life!
- Japan – Triple8funk dance crew… Ninja dance set at the top of Tokyo Tower!
- Hong Kong – 3 amazing luxurious days thanks to Jojo!
- Switzerland – Street tour of the country by a great friend Joe.
- Germany – Meeting up with many of my CVNZ friends. SO. MANY. CASTLES.
- Austria – Cute day trip on my bike.
- Belgium – More meeting up with CVNZ friends.
- Amsterdam – Such a beautiful city.
- England – Mega 5 year adventure about to come to an end. Big cities / small islands / Big friendships.
- Alderney Island – A small bunch of ecologists and mates, clinging to a rock.
- France – Birding tour where I got told off for focusing the binoculars on the goats instead of birds.
- Cambodia – Learning to dive, paradise islands and Angkor Wat.
- Thailand – Maid of honour for my best frriend Sam marrying the man of her dreams Mike.
- Ireland & Northern Ireland – A highlight was checking out my family’s history in Templemore, Tipperary.
- Wales – Have spent 3x NYE here with small groups of great people. Each has been magical.
- India – 4 undescibable weeks with 2 of my best friends and a wicked tour group!
- Morocco – Tom and I’s first trip together, haggling, eating and walking about, lapping up the atmosphere.
Things I love:
- Trains, busses, planes
- Birds & bees
- Cozy friendships reuniting
- Questioning everything
- Cuddle puddles
- The unknown
- Camping conversations
- Pushing limitations
- Deep family bonds
- The beauty in the world
Anyway, I hope you enjoy our lil blog project I will be working on with Tommo. Much love to all.
I’m not going to flog the whole “I never expected to be a blogger!” rhetoric, but it is true. Travel blogs are often a bit trite really. AshandTomdoone.com is a simple means of capturing exciting times and flexing some design and writing muscle to keep myself sharp, grateful and creative on the (dirt) road.
I’m setting off for the mighty Amazon rainforest to willfully disappear amongst the white noise of nature. I’ve got to put some serious work in to make sure this adventure lives up to my own long matured and heavily romanticised vision of what being in the wildest place on Earth will mean to me. I’ve heard every variation of the “you only live once” and “just do it” philosophies that yeah, screw it, I’m outa here. Going to do my best, change things up and smile away beneath the canopies and 10 million different species. That’s the plan, anyway.
Where I’ve been on Planet Earth up until this point:
- England, Wales & Scotland (Edinburgh), making friends, loving life and hijinx.
- Paris, getting my mind blown by the art and having spiritual interventions at Sacré-Cœur.
- Malaysia, getting mugged by macaques and raided by micro-ants.
- Egypt, getting embroiled in low-key hostage situations, quadbiking through canyons and unbelievable snorkelling.
- Morocco, getting lost in the Souks and eating millions of olives.
- USA, getting launched around on every rollercoaster possible and eating ludicrous burgers.
- Tenerife and such like… volcanoes and ice creams!
- Crete, getting entranced by Spinalonga Island, finding bats in Milatos Caves, boating and quadbiking around.
- Kos, getting trashed, lost at sea, shaved and dehydrated on an ill-fated lads holiday.
- Hungary, getting swallowed up by ruin bars, buckets of carrots and pinball museums.
- Netherlands, getting ‘relaxed’ in coffee shops and adoring the architecture.
- Spain, getting whisked around on classic family holidays!
If you don’t know me already, here’s a mini-summary of things I love:
- Wildlife and nature’s energy…
- Space exploration and technology…
- Passionately produced music…
- Talking philosophy…
- Deep friendships…
- Camping, trekking, the outdoors…
- People talking bollocks…
- Embracing and spreading positivity…
- Forests and rivers…
- Finding solutions…
- Unravelling, piece by piece, Ash of Jequitibá…
So, anyway, I’ve also found a complete nutter who wants to come with me who has given me all the emotional curveballs and inspiration I need to jump first and follow my gut. Meet Ash.
Our online adventure archive
Tom, Brit, Jequitibá.
Never miss an update!
Website designed by:
Support an amazing cause:
We are working with a leading environmentalist in Peru to protect an important region of the Amazon rainforest. Find out more.